CONGRESSMAN LARSON AND 200 OTHER CO-SPONSORS SHOULD FAVOR THE FAIRTAX
On January 30, 2019, Congressman Larson, the Chairman of the Ways & Means Social Security Subcommittee introduced the Social Security 2100 Act, H.R. 860. His bill has 200 co-sponsors.
In an article that appeared on the website for BenefitsPro, Nick Thornton summarized some of the facts about Social Security and how the proposed legislation would be implemented. Here are some facts about Social Security:
- When Social Security was established in 1935, half the country lived in poverty.
- By 1946, 11 million Americans were 65 or older.
- Today about 46 million Americans are over 65, and that’s projected to more than double by 2060, according to the Population Reference Bureau, a non-profit think tank.
- Mortality has also vastly improved over Social Security’s lifetime. In 1950, life expectancy was 68; by 2013 it was 79.
- 67 million people in 2017 received payments from the Social Security Administration.
- Last year’s SSA Trustees’ Report said reserves in the Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Program would run out by 2034. If no changes to funding, in 2034, retirees will see an across-the-board 23 percent reduction in monthly checks.
- Permanently reducing benefits by 17 percent is one approach to putting Social Security on sound actuarial footing.
- Increasing payroll taxes from 12.4 percent of income to 15.18 percent is another possible solution.
The article summarizes the main points of Larson’s proposed legislation:
- A phased increase over 23 years of the payroll tax from 12.4 percent to 14.8 percent.
- The Medicare tax of 2.9% would not change and the combined rate for an employee would be 8.85% and 8.85% for the employer,
- For self-employed, the rate would increase from 15.3% to 17.7%.
- The current retirement age for benefits will not change.
- Increase the combined income for an individual from the present $25,000 to $50,000 before Social Security benefits are taxed.
- Increase the combined income for a married couple from the present $32,000 to $100,000 before Social Security benefits are taxed.
- These new thresholds would allow an additional 12 million Social Security recipients to pay no tax on their benefits.
- Presently there are no Social Security taxes owed on wages above $132,000 annually, but the bill will rapidly raise the amount subject to the Social Security tax to $400,000 and then be unlimited after a number of years.
- Increase the minimum benefit in accordance with the definition of the poverty level.
THE PROBLEMS OF THE PAYROLL TAX SYSTEM
While many of us applaud Congressman Larson for trying to get Congress to confront the growing problem with Social Security solvency, doing it with the payroll tax system is not the way.The following graph was developed by Veronique de Rugy, a Senior Research Fellow at the Mercatus Center that shows the number of workers contributing money to pay the benefits of each retiree.
According to Ms. Rugy, by 2030, there will be only two workers for each retired worker.
Also, who actually pays the employer share of Social Security that is matched by the employee?According to a study by the Tax Foundation, almost all of the amounts paid by the employer’s share of Social Security and Medicare taxes are actually paid by the business’ employees because their wages are almost the same amount less. Even though the employee is told that they only pay one-half of the Social Security tax, it is another example of the way the Swamp and Congress have actually hidden the amount of tax paid.
Unfortunately, the unintended consequence of Congressman Larson’s legislation is that he is raising taxes and limiting wage increases on many of the workers he intends to help.
THE FUTURE OF SOCIAL SECURITY UNDER THE FAIRTAX
The payroll tax is eliminated by the FairTax which collects the money to fund Social Security. Here is what the FairTax does for Social Security:
- It does not depend on workers but on spending by everyone in the U.S.
- With the prebate (tax credit), workers will have the amount of spending up to the poverty level for them free of any tax.
- Prices for new retail goods and most retail services will be 10% to 20% less than they are today.
- All of the money they earn will not be reduced by federal payroll taxes or income taxes.
- The economy will grow more rapidly, foreign investment will flow into the U.S. and create more and more higher paying jobs for American workers.
- All of the income from Social Security will not be reduced by taxes and retirees will get 100% of their benefits.
- If Social Security funding needs to be increased, it can be done with an increase to the 23% rate—if enough Americans agree because it will not be hidden from anyone.
Congressman Larson and his cosponsors are trying to address a problem, but unfortunately they are trying to repair a failing system that is way beyond the “use by” date. The payroll tax is a very regressive system. It taxes all workers from dollar one without regard to the amount of money they make and the size of their family.
This is another U.S. problem that the FairTax will address and provide a solution that is good for everyone in America other than the Swamp and many of their minions in Congress.
Isn’t it time to take back control from D.C.?
President Trump, “Embrace the FAIRtax and real tax reform! What have you got to lose?”
It is time to PASS THE FAIRTAX!
The truth is the truth. Remember, if we don't continue to tell the truth and demand a change, then this quote from George Orwell's 1984 may foretell our children's future:
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”
Call up the local or D.C. offices of your House Member and two Senators and you can use the following script:
WHAT CAN EACH OF US DO
- I am sure that Representative ____ or Senator ____ is in favor of everyone obeying the income tax laws.
- After they assure you that their boss is not in favor of anyone breaking the law, ask if they are aware of the Cebula study showing $9 trillion of evaded income/payroll taxes over the next ten years.
- Since most will say they don’t believe their boss has seen the study, either drop off a copy or get an email address and send a copy to them for their boss.
- Say you are going to call back in a week and ask what the Representative or Senator is going to do to stop this evasion.
- In a week, call back and ask specifically what the Representative or Senator is going to do to enforce the law.
- They probably will say their boss believes that simplifying the income tax will handle the problem.
- Explain that when people evade income taxes, they are also evading the 15.3% payroll/Medicare tax and state income tax. So it is unlikely that they are going to pay 30% or 40% when they were paying 0% because they have already decided it is okay to cheat.
- Say that the only way to reduce evasion is to increase by tens or hundreds of thousands the number of comprehensive IRS audits done each year.
- Point out that Evaders do not self-identify by putting an “E” on their income tax return.
- 80% of the people likely to be audited are trying to comply, but they will be forced to endure these IRS audits as well.
- Ask if the Member is in favor of this?
- If they say no, then ask again how the Member proposes to stop people breaking the income tax laws.
- Then explain that the way to handle evasion without unleashing the IRS audits is the FAIRtax.
If you can see your Member or attend a town hall and ask these questions, you can be even more effective.
FAIRTAX POWER RADIO
#150 How To Handle a “FAIRtax Denier”
Some individuals don’t take the time to learn about the FAIRtax so they are prone to find fault where there is none. Their criticisms ring hollow when they say “But I’ll lose my mortgage interest deduction!” or “The FAIRtax does not reduce federal spending.”
Using the second book by Boortz & Linder (red cover), The FAIRtax Guys role play: FAIRtax Denier vs. FAIRtax Proponent.
Here’s one used by people who profit by the current income tax and are desperate to protect their gravy train at the expense of every other American: “It’s not 23%, it’s actually 30%.” Do you know how to respond to this one?
Listen and find out how to respond to people who have legitimate questions about the FAIRtax and those who know how to game the current system for fun and profit.
Something’s gotta give!
If you believe the FAIRtax is good for America, let others know by turning them onto FAIRtax Power Radio - the ONLY weekly FAIRtax digital TV show in the country! Watch every Wednesday at 11:30 AM (ET). We are streaming to Facebook LIVE (www.facebook.com/fairtax). If you’re not a fan of Facebook, you can watch the show on www.xcluded.tv at the same broadcast time - or any time.
FTPR podcasts for each show are posted on Spreaker (http://bit.ly/2oesbk7), iTunes & iHeart Radio every Friday morning. A free FAIRtax Power Radio app is available for iOS and Android. Since it’s a podcast, you can download it and play it whenever it’s convenient for you.
The FTPR weekly episodes are shared to a number of Facebook pages:
- FAIRtax Official (https://www.facebook.com/FairTax/)
- The FAIRtax Guys (https://www.facebook.com/thefairtaxguys/)
- Democrats for FAIRtax (https://www.facebook.com/DemocratsForFairTax/)
- and many others
www.xcluded.tv is a subscription based site which costs $30 per year and features a number of other shows along with FTPR with no commercial interruption.
Please help us educate as many Americans about the FAIRtax as possible. Be sure to tell everyone you know about this great new format for FAIRtax Power Radio. Whether you watch the weekly video or listen to the weekly podcast, this is a great way for more Americans to learn about the best tax reform plan in Congress at this time.
Tune into our video broadcast each Wednesday. Or, if you prefer, you can listen to the podcast of the show later. You can listen to FTPR on any platform - Mac or PC, iPhone or Android. And it’s 100% free. Listen on Spreaker.com (http://bit.ly/2oesbk7), iTunes (http://apple.co/1Te8VdF) or iHeart Radio (http://bit.ly/2eqEG7y) on your computer or smartphone. The easiest way to listen to FTPR on your smartphone is by downloading the free FTPR app. Just search for “FAIRtax Power Radio” in your app store, download the app and start listening.
Remember, FTPR digital TV every Wednesday at 11:30 AM (ET) followed by the podcast on Friday morning. Please listen and tell everyone you know about the FAIRtax Power Radio. The FAIRtax: Once You Understand It, You’ll Demand It!
AMERICA’S BIG SOLUTION - THE ABC’S OF TAXES
America’s Big Solution provides a starting point in your study of the FAIRtax and is meant for people of any age. And you can download it to your tablet or smartphone right now. It’s also available in print form. See below.
Do you know someone who would like an introduction to the FAIRtax and would prefer to read about it in a booklet rather than search online for Tweets, Posts and Shares? If so, America’s Big Solution is their best choice.
America’s Big Solution is an introduction to the FAIRtax written by Terry Tibbetts, author of A Spartan Game: The Life and Loss of Don Holleder, with help from Ron Maiellaro, President of the Florida FAIRtax Educational Association.
You can buy an electronic version of ABS as follows: AMERICA’S BIG SOLUTION is available for only $2.99 for the Amazon Kindle (http://amzn.to/1WIRHry), the Barnes & Noble Nook (http://bit.ly/1XeG8bH) and Apple iOS (http://apple.co/1tnqK0P).
You can purchase a print copy at the same Amazon link above for $9.25. Regardless of whether you choose the electronic format or the print format, you’ll find AMERICA’S BIG SOLUTION will give someone the boost they need to begin their study of the FAIRtax and the suggested resources to learn more. Buy AMERICA’S BIG SOLUTION now!
LINKS TO MORE INFORMATION
These links will help you promote and support the FAIRtax, make yourself familiar with the links below. We always do our best to keep our AFFT community up to date, and you can stay ahead of the curve using these convenient sites.
- The website of Americans for Fair Taxation (www.fairtax.org)
- Read the Summary of the Evasion Study
- Welcome to the Online FAIRtax Community (member.fairtax.org)
- The website at which you can help make it happen (bigsolution.org)
- The Facebook page for Americans for Fair Taxation
- The Facebook page for The FAIRtax Guys
- The Twitter page for Americans for Fair Taxation
- YouTube channel for AFFT
- YouTube channel for The FAIRtax Guys
- The Official FAIRtax Logo Store (www.fairtaxlogostore.org)
- www.xcluded.tv - A new platform for FAIRtax Power Radio Video and other shows
- POPVOX - Make your FAIRtax voice heard on this national self-survey platform
Thank You for Opening The FAIRtax Chronicles, Our Sponsored Mailings
We plan to do several of these mailings each month. If you take a minute to open the sponsored emails and click through to the website, you are making an in kind contribution to AFFT. It is not required to actually make a purchase, but your minute of time will ensure that AFFT is paid ever larger amounts from people paying for us to send their offers to our supporters.
Again, we are making every effort to ensure that we work with only reputable companies. If you feel that any FAIRtax-sponsored email is objectionable, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why. You can also opt to not receive these sponsored email messages but still receive FAIRtax emails.
Thank you for staying FAIRtax strong!