THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION—THE FIRST AMERICAN CIVIL WAR AND THE WAR AGAINST THE BRITISH
Next week we celebrate the time 242 years ago that the Declaration of Independence was issued. Many Americans believe that the American Revolution was a revolt supported by a large majority of people living in the colonies. This was not true. Instead of overwhelming support, many residents of the colonies were openly against the revolution. These opponents were called Loyalists or Tories.
This data was posted by the University of Groningen:
- Estimates of the number of Loyalists range as high as 500,000, or 20 percent of the white population of the colonies.
- The Loyalists, like the rebels, criticized such British actions as the Stamp Act and the Coercive Acts.
- The majority were small farmers, artisans and shopkeepers but many wealthy businessmen were Loyalists.
- It is estimated that 50% of the population of New York were Loyalist.
- Approximately 19,000 Loyalists fought for the British.
- After the Paris Peace Treaty, about 100,000 Loyalists left the colonies. Two of the more notable Loyalists that left were William Franklin, the son of Ben Franklin, and John Singleton Copley, the great American painter.
When you factor in the number of residents of the colonies that lived away from the Northeast or the Atlantic coast and were more concerned with protecting their families from Indian raids, the percentage of the colonists supporting the revolution was likely no more than one-third or 700,000. These supporters of the revolution were not only fighting the British and their allies but also the Loyalists. This was not only a war against a foreign power, Britain, but also a civil war for the way the colonies were to be ruled.
THE FAIRTAX REVOLUTION—HOW MANY WILL IT TAKE?
All of us now see that the Swamp and their controlled Members of Congress will not easily abandon the income/payroll tax even if retaining the corrupt and harmful system is hurting the rest of us in many ways. We ask, “How many of us are needed to overcome such an entrenched group?” The answer is that history is full of dedicated groups who changed the world. Often, like the people who supported the revolution against Britain, the price of failure was death or imprisonment. In fact, it is estimated that more Revolutionary War soldiers died on British prison ships than in battle.There have been a number of studies that looked into the number of people needed to cause major change.
In a blog on the Freakonomics website, Matthew Philips cites a study by scientists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute’s Social Cognitive Networks Academic Research Center (SCNARC), and published in the journal Physical Review E.The study concluded, “Once 10% of a population is committed to an idea, it’s inevitable that it will eventually become the prevailing opinion of the entire group. The key is to remain committed.James Baird, a member of AFFT’s board of delegates from Tennessee, shared an article by David Noonan in the Scientific American. Mr. Noonan discusses a study designed and led by Damon Centola, associate professor in the Annenberg School of Communications at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Centola found, “The magic number, the tipping point, turned out to be 25 percent.” While this is much higher than the 10% found in the Rensselaer study it is considerably less than 50%. In a comment on the study, Arnout van de Rijt, a sociologist at Utrecht University in the Netherlands said, “This is not about a small elite with disproportionate resources. It's not about the Koch brothers influencing American public opinion. Rather, this is about a minority trying to change the status quo, and succeeding by being unrelenting. By committing to a new behavior, they repeatedly expose others to that new behavior until they start to copy it.”
YOU DON’T NEED 10% OF THE POPULATION TO WIN MAJOR CHANGES
Although the scientists obviously have a basis for their findings, in recent times, a much smaller group has been able to change the nation’s attitude and its laws. According to a January of 2017 Gallup Poll, The portion of American adults identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) increased to 4.1% in 2016 from 3.5% in 2012.
This same poll pointed out the following:
- Since 1977, Gallup has asked Americans if they think that gay and lesbian relationships between consenting adults should be legal.
- In July 1986, just 32% supported legalization of same-sex relationships.
- By 1999, half of Americans supported legalization.
- As of May 2016, the figure had risen to 68% who supported legalization.
How did this minority of under 5% achieve these changes—they were committed and never failed to continually assert the rightness of their cause. They didn’t use bullets but the force of their ideas.
You don’t have to agree with their beliefs but we do have to recognize that they were successful in making a huge change.
Many times, FAIRtax supporters get discouraged because they watch Members of Congress dance on the strings of their puppet masters in the Swamp. These Members promise us that they are looking out for our best interest and then do things that are not only not in our best interest but are so “not” in our best interest that it is hard for normal people to comprehend. Unlike other “revolutionaries” that sought the overthrow of tyranny and faced death or imprisonment if they failed, we face the prospect of seeing the welfare and opportunity of our children and grandchildren sacrificed to the greed of the Swamp. When we look at how the Swamp and their controlled Members of Congress are refusing to adapt common sense policies, we fear for our children and grandchildren. We agree with Abraham Lincoln when he said, “To give victory to the right, not bloody bullets, but peaceful ballots only, are necessary.” We have to continue our efforts to pass the FAIRtax. Thomas Jefferson said, “One man with courage is a majority.” If we continue to educate our family, friends and neighbors we will win. The people are seeing the failed policy of the Swamp. This is the only explanation for the election of President Trump.
It is time to PASS THE FAIRTAX!
The truth is the truth. Remember, if we don't continue to tell the truth and demand a change, then this quote from George Orwell's 1984 may foretell our children's future:
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”
WHAT CAN EACH OF US DO
Call up the local or D.C. offices of your House Member and two Senators and you can use the following script:
- I am sure that Representative ____ or Senator ____ is in favor of everyone obeying the income tax laws.
- After they assure you that their boss is not in favor of anyone breaking the law, ask if they are aware of the Cebula study showing $9 trillion of evaded income/payroll taxes over the next ten years.
- Since most will say they don’t believe their boss has seen the study, either drop off a copy or get an email address and send a copy to them for their boss.
- Say you are going to call back in a week and ask what the Representative or Senator is going to do to stop this evasion.
- In a week, call back and ask specifically what the Representative or Senator is going to do to enforce the law.
- They probably will say their boss believes that simplifying the income tax will handle the problem.
- Explain that when people evade income taxes, they are also evading the 15.3% payroll/Medicare tax and state income tax. So it is unlikely that they are going to pay 30% or 40% when they were paying 0% because they have already decided it is okay to cheat.
- Say that the only way to reduce evasion is to increase by tens or hundreds of thousands the number of comprehensive IRS audits done each year.
- Point out that Evaders do not self-identify by putting an “E” on their income tax return.
- 80% of the people likely to be audited are trying to comply, but they will be forced to endure these IRS audits as well.
- Ask if the Member is in favor of this?
- If they say no, then ask again how the Member proposes to stop people breaking the income tax laws.
- Then explain that the way to handle evasion without unleashing the IRS audits is the FAIRtax.
If you can see your Member or attend a town hall and ask these questions, you can be even more effective.
#114 TARIFFS, TRADE WARS & THE FAIRTAX
You’ve heard a lot about tariffs in the news lately. So are tariffs good or bad? Help the economy or hurt it? Do they always result in a trade war? Guest host Randy Fischer explains the current problems created by tariffs and how the FAIRtax will alleviate this issue and put the US back in the drivers seat in international trade. A very timely subject for everyone right here on FAIRtax Power Radio. Be sure to let everyone you know about the New and Improved FAIRtax Power Radio. Watch and Listen every Wednesday at 11:30 AM (ET). We are streaming to Facebook LIVE (https://www.facebook.com/FairTax/) and Spreaker (http://bit.ly/2oesbk7).
PAST EPISODES - Can’t tune in Live? Each episode is saved as both video on Facebook and podcasts on Spreaker, iTunes and iHeart Radio. Watch or listen later - or any time!
The Facebook videos are saved to a number of pages: FAIRtax Official (https://www.facebook.com/FairTax/), The FAIRtax Guys (https://www.facebook.com/thefairtaxguys/), Democrats for FAIRtax (https://www.facebook.com/DemocratsForFairTax/) and many others. Or search for FAIRtax Power Radio on your favorite podcast platform. See below for links. Not only will we be LIVE but eventually we will be set up to take phone calls from the public. And we will do our best to land interviews with influential people to see what they think of the only REAL tax reform plan in Congress, HR 25, The FAIRtax. Be a part of this cutting edge news/talk show featuring The FAIRtax Guys. Stay tuned to get more details as this develops.
PLEASE HELP US SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THE FAIRTAX!
You can listen to FTPR on any platform - Mac or PC, iPhone or Android. And it’s 100% free.
Listen on Spreaker.com (http://bit.ly/2oesbk7), iTunes (http://apple.co/1Te8VdF) or iHeart Radio (http://bit.ly/2eqEG7y) on your computer or smartphone. The easiest way to listen to FTPR on your smartphone is by downloading the free FTPR app. Just search for “FAIRtax Power Radio” in your app store, download the app and start listening.
We post a new episode every Friday morning. Please listen and tell everyone you know about the FAIRtax Power Radio.
The FAIRtax: Once You Understand It, You’ll Demand It!
THE ELECTRONIC INTRODUCTION TO THE FAIRTAX - AMERICA’S BIG SOLUTION
America’s Big Solution is a basic introduction to the FAIRtax and is meant for people of any age. And you can download it to your tablet or smartphone right now.
Do you know someone who would like an introduction to the FAIRtax and would prefer to read about it rather than search online for Tweets, Posts and Shares? If so, America’s Big Solution is their best choice.
America’s Big Solution is an introduction to the FAIRtax written by Terry Tibbetts, author of A Spartan Game: The Life and Loss of Don Holleder, with help from Ron Maiellaro, President of the Florida FAIRtax Educational Association.
You can buy an electronic version of ABS as follows: AMERICA’S BIG SOLUTION is available for only $2.99 for the Amazon Kindle (http://amzn.to/1WIRHry), the Barnes & Noble Nook (http://bit.ly/1XeG8bH) and Apple iOS (http://apple.co/1tnqK0P).
You can purchase a print copy at the same Amazon link above for $9.25. Regardless of whether you choose the electronic format or the print format, you’ll find AMERICA’S BIG SOLUTION will give someone the boost they need to begin their study of the FAIRtax and the suggested resources to learn more. Buy AMERICA’S BIG SOLUTION now!
LINKS TO MORE INFORMATION
These links will help you promote and support the FAIRtax, make yourself familiar with the links below. We always do our best to keep our AFFT community up to date, and you can stay ahead of the curve using these convenient sites.
- The website of Americans for Fair Taxation (www.fairtax.org)
- Read the Summary of the Evasion Study.
- Welcome to the Online FAIRtax Community (member.fairtax.org)
- The website at which you can help make it happen. (www.bigsolution.org)
- The Facebook page for Americans for Fair Taxation
- The Facebook page for The FAIRtax Guys
- The Twitter page for Americans for Fair Taxation
- PopVox - Connecting people and lawmakers for more effective participation and better governing
- YouTube channel for AFFT
- The Official FAIRtax Logo Store (www.fairtaxlogostore.org)
- Xcluded.tv - The new home of FAIRtax Power Radio Video
Thank You For Opening The FAIRtax Chronicles, Our Sponsored Mailings
We plan to do several of these mailings each month. If you take a minute to open the sponsored emails and click through to the website, you are making an in kind contribution to AFFT. It is not required to actually make a purchase, but your minute of time will ensure that AFFT is paid ever larger amounts from people paying for us to send their offers to our supporters.
Again, we are making every effort to ensure that we work with only reputable companies. If you feel that any FAIRtax-sponsored email is objectionable, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why. You can also opt to not receive these sponsored email messages but still receive FAIRtax emails.
Thank you for staying FAIRtax strong!