The Grassroots Corner January 29th, 2024

  • by:
  • Source: FAIRtax
  • 01/29/2024

Changing how the Public thinks about Government

A subtle point you can bring up when discussing the FAIRtax is how the measure helps Americans take ownership of government benefits and question government spending. As you may find obvious, people value goods and services most when they pay for them. When people receive goods and services for free, they value those goods and services less.

The following table illustrates this principle:

So, how does the FAIRtax come in? Section 509 of the FAIRtax bill, “Other Administrative Provisions: Tax To Be Separately Stated and Charged,” requires the seller to provide the purchaser a receipt showing 1) the price, excluding the tax, 2) the tax, 3) the price, including the tax, and 4) the tax rate. 

There are only two exceptions to this rule. The first is sales from a vending machine of goods costing ten dollars or less. The second exception is from a sales category known as "financial intermediation services." These are generally banking and brokerage services. The financial products are not subject to the FAIRtax, but the inputs of the bank or broker are, and the tax appears on their statements. Many receipts are electronic today, but the principle will remain the same.

So, with the FAIRtax becoming 91.31% of all federal revenue (with the remaining 8.69% [for fiscal year 2020] being excise taxes and borrowing [source: National Priorities Project “Federal Revenue: Where Does the Money Come From”]), Americans start to see just how much government is costing them. 

More importantly, when the cost of government is clearly printed on every retail receipt, people will become more acutely aware that THEY are the ones who are paying for it.  When American taxpayers realize that the cost of government is being taken directly out of their pockets, they will care a lot more about both the quality and the price of government services.

The end result is that the FAIRtax makes the government more accountable to the people since the people will be paying a lot more attention to what they’re getting for their money.

To keep government in check, Americans need to care about both the price and the quality of government-provided benefits. The FAIRtax will bring the price into much clearer focus.
We need more of you to send in pictures and news. If you have something to share, please send your material to me,, (908) 578-4975, or fax (908) 598-2888. When others see your activity, they are inspired, and the process snowballs. When the process snowballs, Congress Members, Senators, and even the President start to listen.
Jim Bennett
AFFT Grassroots Coordinator & Secretary


🇺🇸   Call For Pictures & WriteUps - When others see your activity, they are inspired, the process snowballs and Representatives, Senators and, yes, even the President start to listen to you and me. Please send your material to me at

🇺🇸   The Official FAIRtax Store - Don’t forget to order your FAIRtax gear from the FAIRtax Store.

🇺🇸   We've Got You Covered, If You Let Us Know - If you are planning an event, we have event insurance coverage available for you. Email me the "who-what-where-when" and I will obtain for you a COI. Once the event is underway, it's too late.

Help FAIRtax Become The Number One Issue in 2024

Enacting the FAIRtax must be a prominent topic in these times. We did it before, we can do it again, but we need your help!

Help out with a One-Time Contribution

Your gift of $25, $50, $100 – even $1,000 or more if you can possibly spare it – will help bring an end to the IRS and promote a FAIRtax. So, I urge you, please give as generously as you can.

Billing information (REQUIRED)

Payment information (REQUIRED)

To donate by check:
Americans for Fair Taxation
PO Box 4929
Clearwater, FL 33758

If you need to make changes to your existing Monthly Re-Occurring Donation with new card or billing address information, then Please call Adam Yomtov our New York State Co-Director. He is assisting with the administration of our donations, technology services, and website.

Please note: Inputting your new information at our website won't update your donation. The only way to update is by calling Adam Yomtov 917-689-3931 mobile.

Americans for Fair Taxation® is a 501(c)(4) non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization solely dedicated to replacing the current income tax system with a fair, simple and transparent national consumption tax – the FAIRtax® Plan. We rely entirely on contributions from concerned citizens like you who want a tax system that will generate jobs and stimulate the economy. Welcome to the FAIRtax team!