80 BILLION DOLLARS TO THE IRS—WHAT!
The recently enacted Inflation Reduction Act has many provisions to which many of us may object, but the $80 billion to the IRS is particularly upsetting.
First, it is totally unnecessary. When we enact the FAIRtax:
- There will be a more efficient and fair system that eliminates the IRS
- There will be no forms for individuals to file and no tax returns
- We get our entire paycheck with no withholding or payroll taxes
- Imports will not be rewarded at the expense of U.S. goods
- Income tax lobbyists will be out of business
- Special interests cannot purchase benefits for which we pay
- We TAKE BACK CONTROL and we decide how much we pay in U.S. taxes
Second, the Internal Revenue Service is widely regarded as one of the least efficient of all federal agencies. The Wall Street Journal editorial entitled This is Your IRS made the following points:
- The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) audits point out that the IRS answers only 10% of taxpayer calls and has a backlog of 17 million unprocessed tax returns. The audits reveal an agency that can’t do its basic job well but will terrorize taxpayers whether they deserve it or not.
- By the IRS’s own admission, some $19 billion—or 28%—of earned-income tax credit payments in fiscal 2021 were “improper.” The amount hasn’t improved despite years of IRS promises to do better.
- A January TIGTA audit found that an estimated 67,000 claims—totaling $15.6 billion—for the low-income housing tax credit from 2015 to 2019 “lacked or did not match supporting documentation due to potential reporting errors or noncompliance.”
- A September 2021 audit found the IRS in 2020 issued 89,338 notices to taxpayers insisting that “balances were owed even though the taxes were not actually due.” Why? Because the feds had extended the filing deadline amid Covid but the IRS apparently didn’t notice.
- A February audit found the IRS department responsible for ensuring retirement-plan tax compliance suffered a 23% decline in the quality of its examinations from fiscal 2018 to fiscal 2020. In the past seven months, TIGTA has issued searing reports on IRS mismanagement of everything from its partial-payment program for delinquent taxpayers, to its auditing of partnerships, to its struggle to handle internal employee misconduct.
- A March 2017 report related the agency’s crackdown on businesses flagged as potentially evading a law that requires financial institutions to report currency transactions exceeding $10,000. The IRS took to seizing property from its targets before even conducting interviews. TIGTA reports that even when interviews were conducted, the IRS failed to advise the accused of their rights or the purpose of the interview and failed to consider “realistic defenses or explanations.” TIGTA found that “most” of those targeted (gas stations, jewelry stores, scrap-metal dealers, restaurants) had not committed crimes, though many were never able to regain their property.
- This is the IRS that Democrats are now arming with more money and manpower to unleash on Americans.
- The $80 billion is further proof of the rule that failure in government is invariably rewarded with a bigger budget.
There is a story about a 95 year old man who saw his doctor and said that this 18 year old bride was pregnant.
The doctor looked at him and said, “Let me tell you a story. A man went bear hunting but instead of a rifle he carried an umbrella. When a bear saw the man and charged, the hunter shot the bear with his umbrella and killed it.”
The 95 year old man said, “Impossible. Someone else must have shot the bear.”
The doctor smiled and said, “My point exactly.”
Blaming the IRS for the actions they take to enforce a terrible income/payroll tax code is like believing that you can shoot a bear with an umbrella and kill it.
The politicians and their minions must be laughing hard. All of the attacks on the IRS are diverting the public’s attention from the real problem—Congress is ordering the IRS to enforce an unenforceable federal income/payroll tax system.
Even if the IRS became more efficient, THERE IS NO WAY TO CATCH THE TAX CHEATS WITHOUT ALSO ATTACKING THE 80% OF TAXPAYERS WHO ARE HONESTLY TRYING TO FILE ACCURATE RETURNS AND PAY THEIR TAXES.
With all of the rhetoric about the specter of armed IRS agents coming to our doors, no one is asking the right question—Why don’t we get rid of the IRS entirely by enacting the FAIRtax?
The income/payroll tax system is broken and no longer working—we can’t repair it but we can replace it with the FAIRTAX!
The FAIRtax will allow Americans to TAKE BACK CONTROL over their government and their lives.
Join us and TAKE BACK CONTROL OF OUR COUNTRY AND OUR LIVES—NOT WITH BULLETS BUT WITH THE ELIMINATION OF ONE OF THE BIGGEST THREATS TO OUR LIBERTY AND ECONOMIC PROSPERITY—THE INCOME/PAYROLL TAX.
We all should remember Edmund Burke’s warning that applies to our efforts to TAKE BACK CONTROL,
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
We should also remember this quote from George Orwell's 1984, which, if we do nothing, may foretell your and your children's future:
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”
WHAT CAN EACH OF US DO?
We can write letters and make calls to our elected representatives and attend Zoom town hall meetings demanding that if they really want to allow Americans to “TAKE BACK CONTROL”, the first step is to eliminate the income/payroll tax system and enact the FAIRTAX!
TAKE BACK CONTROL! Help us PASS THE FAIRTAX!
The IRS will be gone and we will pay our taxes when we make purchases.
WE and not the Ruling Class and their minions in D.C. will decide how much federal tax we pay!
WE will know how much tax we and everyone else are really paying because taxes will no longer be hidden from us. It will be clearly shown on every retail receipt.
If you have friends who don’t know about the FAIRtax, send them to FAIRtax.org. Have them watch the white boards under “How It Works” and, if they agree, ask them to please join us.
Then contact your Members of Congress and the President and demand that Congress pass -the FAIRtax—the only fair tax.
Is it hopeless? When confronted with a seemingly impossible problem, remember the statement attributed to the author George Bernard Shaw who wrote, You see things; and you say “Why?” But I dream things that never were; and I say “Why not?”
Isn’t it time for us to ask, “Why not?”
HELP BRING ABOUT REAL TAX REFORM AND STOP FUTURE IRS ABUSES
By contributing (investing) $10.40 per month, you help provide a financial base to AFFT. If you can make larger contributions (investments), these will be used not for salaries, as we are all volunteers, but for the needed updates to our economic studies which will be vital in 2022 and for all future years.
Please go to this link to invest in AFFT and in your and your family’s future.