THE INSANITY OF DC THINKING
We have often wondered why people who appear to be reasonably intelligent when you meet them can do some insanely crazy things and still insist that they are acting in a logical and sane manner. Some of the recent actions taken by our “Leaders” have provided some insight into understanding what is really happening.
An article appeared in The Hill and contained these points:
- Interest rates are rising, inflation is lingering at four-decade highs, the economy appears to be slowing and experts fear a recession is on the way.
- But Americans are still quitting their jobs at near-record rates in the face of growing economic uncertainty.
- The percentage of American workers who quit their jobs set a record earlier this year and has dropped only slightly since then.
- After reaching 2.9 percent this spring, the quits rate dropped to 2.7 percent in July, according to data released Tuesday by the Labor Department.
- Ann Elizabeth Konkel, an economist at Indeed Hiring Lab said, “Despite recent declines, job openings still outnumber unemployed workers by a sizable margin, illustrating just how tight the labor market remains... On the flip side, inflation continues to take a bite out of workers’ paychecks,” she continued, noting that only 46 percent of workers saw wage gains that outpaced inflation.
- Konkel pointed out that the number of Indeed users seeking jobs with a $20 per hour wage rose above those seeking $15 per hour in June 2022, and the number of jobseekers looking for $25 per hour is up 122 percent over the past 12 months.
- There were roughly two open jobs for every unemployed American, according to Labor Department data, giving job seekers ample opportunities to find new jobs with better pay or working conditions.
- Consumer spending is well above pre-pandemic levels, but the workforce is still smaller than it was before COVID. Consequently, businesses are scrambling to find enough workers to keep up.
- “Hospitality companies tell us that what was once a ‘one strike, you’re out’ rule for employees who failed to show up at work without notice is now more like a ‘ten strikes, you’re out’ rule. They cannot afford to fire workers because they cannot afford to replace them,” said Julia Pollak, chief economist at ZipRecruiter.
In D.C., where many believe in the gospel of more regulation and more labor union power, this data is greeted with unease and even disappointment. Where else but in D.C. could you have cries of dismay when workers, without the aid of government or unions, demand and get:
- Higher pay
- More flexible hours
- Ability to work remotely
- Better benefits
Where else but in D.C. do you hear cheers when:
- Unemployment goes up
- Wages stop increasing
- Gas prices increase (they want to make non-electric cars too expensive)
- Mortgage interest rates increase and home purchases decline
- Car loan interest rates increase
- Wait, you say, that’s insane. Yes, but that is the prevailing way of viewing things in D.C.
Here is what D.C. and their minions fear the great unwashed will learn:
- D.C.’s massive spending has fueled inflation because it required the Federal Reserve to print massive amounts of money to fund the spending.
- Rather than take responsibility for their actions, the D.C. and Federal Reserve solution is to punish the rest of us.
- If many of us lose our jobs, we will not be able to spend as much so, theoretically, inflation will go down.
- If more lose their jobs, more will be dependent on D.C.
- If cars are more expensive or gas is more expensive or loan interest rates rise, then we cannot make purchases and this will result in, theoretically, a reduction in the inflation rate.
- As consumer demand decreases, businesses will have to slow production and this means fewer workers are needed.
Notice a pattern here? It is not their fault but our fault and so we have to be punished.
Never lose sight of two inconvenient truths. The D.C. elites never participate in the pain that they cause for others. They never lose their jobs, and they never lose their benefits.
This is the same insane logic that justifies keeping the income/payroll tax system that only benefits them and not the rest of us. To D.C. it is fine if the income/payroll tax:
- Grows the economy at a much slower rate than the FAIRtax
- Rewards imports and penalizes U.S. businesses
- Eliminates well-paying U.S. jobs
- Requires a Gestapo like IRS to enforce it
- Takes money from our paychecks before we get it.
- Requires complicated forms and unnecessary receipts and record keeping
The income/payroll tax system is broken and no longer working—we can’t repair it but we can replace it with the FAIRTAX!
The FAIRtax will allow Americans to TAKE BACK CONTROL over their government and their lives.
Join us and TAKE BACK CONTROL OF OUR COUNTRY AND OUR LIVES—NOT WITH BULLETS BUT WITH THE ELIMINATION OF ONE OF THE BIGGEST THREATS TO OUR LIBERTY AND ECONOMIC PROSPERITY—THE INCOME/PAYROLL TAX.
We all should remember Edmund Burke’s warning that applies to our efforts to TAKE BACK CONTROL,
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
We should also remember this quote from George Orwell's 1984, which, if we do nothing, may foretell your and your children's future:
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”
WHAT CAN EACH OF US DO?
We can write letters and make calls to our elected representatives and attend Zoom town hall meetings demanding that if they really want to allow Americans to “TAKE BACK CONTROL”, the first step is to eliminate the income/payroll tax system and enact the FAIRTAX!
TAKE BACK CONTROL! Help us PASS THE FAIRTAX!
The IRS will be gone and we will pay our taxes when we make purchases.
WE and not the Ruling Class and their minions in D.C. will decide how much federal tax we pay!
WE will know how much tax we and everyone else are really paying because taxes will no longer be hidden from us. It will be clearly shown on every retail receipt.
If you have friends who don’t know about the FAIRtax, send them to FAIRtax.org. Have them watch the white boards under “How It Works” and, if they agree, ask them to please join us.
Then contact your Members of Congress and the President and demand that Congress pass -the FAIRtax—the only fair tax.
Is it hopeless? When confronted with a seemingly impossible problem, remember the statement attributed to the author George Bernard Shaw who wrote, You see things; and you say “Why?” But I dream things that never were; and I say “Why not?”
Isn’t it time for us to ask, “Why not?”
HELP BRING ABOUT REAL TAX REFORM AND STOP FUTURE IRS ABUSES
By contributing (investing) $10.40 per month, you help provide a financial base to AFFT. If you can make larger contributions (investments), these will be used not for salaries, as we are all volunteers, but for the needed updates to our economic studies which will be vital in 2022 and for all future years.
Please go to this link to invest in AFFT and in your and your family’s future.