“The best way to predict your future is to create it.” – Abraham Lincoln
People often ask, “How do I make others see the benefits of the FairTax®? We have all experienced the frustration of explaining the FairTax and having someone politely say it makes sense and then change the subject to football or the weather. What is it about the tax code that causes these individuals to view tax reform and solutions like the FairTax as mundane topics for polite conversation?.
The answer may illuminate the challenge we all have in engaging new activists in the FairTax campaign and signing up new paid AFFT members.
A recent survey found that 56% of American taxpayers felt that they paid about the right amount of income tax. More importantly, many taxpayers view the IRS favorably because they have never felt the IRS’ wrath and because they receive a “refund” check every year. Clearly, we have a lot of work to do and we need to educate and recruit these people who don’t see the IRS as a problem.
Craig Bergman, a long-time FairTax advocate, has produced a new feature movie that provides a great opportunity for the FairTax campaign. His documentary movie, UnFair, showcases the abuses of the IRS and makes the irrefutable point that the only solution is the FairTax Plan. It will be showing for one-night only on October 14, 2014, at 7:00 P.M., in theaters across the country. You can find a list of theatres here.
UnFair provides the FairTax campaign with a terrific opportunity and educational tool. However, like any educational tool, it will only be successful if people know about it, buy tickets and come to the event on October 14. And that’s going to take a lot of work by a lot of people – people like you and me.
Thomas Edison said, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” Together, let’s put on our overalls, roll up our sleeves and get to work supporting UnFair, generating new AFFT memberships and building a new army of FairTax supporters. Let’s make sure people know about the movie, buy tickets and get to their local theatres on October 14. And, don’t forget to use this opportunity to have attendees:
- Sign-up for AFFT membership. You can download the membership form here
- Sign the AFFT Petition. You can download the petition form here
Here’s what else you can do:
- Forward this e-mail to everyone you know and post it on Facebook.
- Encourage fellow FairTaxers, friends, family, colleagues and neighbors to buy UnFair tickets TODAY.
- Become a “Theatre Captain.” Theater Captains have an exciting and unique role in supporting UnFair including explaining the FairTax to the audience 30 minutes before the movie begins and answering questions after the movie ends. They can also invite attendees to sign the FairTax Petition and become paid members of AFFT.
- Participate in SOCIAL MEDIA BOMBS every Tuesday until UnFair opens on October 14. Be sure to Follow and Friend on Facebook and Twitter.
- Demand a theatre in your community.
- Sponsor a theatre and host an UnFair-FairTax Party. As Will Rogers said, “It is not what you pay but what it costs.” Remember, for every AFFT membership you sign up at your theatre party, your state FairTax organization will receive 50% of paid memberships from your state (less bank fees or about 43%) to fund more state and local FairTax activities. As a theatre sponsor you can buy some or all of the tickets for your community theatre. If you are interested in theatre sponsorship, don’t wait – sponsorships must be purchased by September 30th.
UnFair is an exciting opportunity to visually demonstrate to the nation the longstanding abuse of the income tax code and the IRS. It is also gives the FairTax campaign a fantastic opportunity to rapidly meet AFFT’s new goal of 1 million paid memberships. The 114th Congress will assemble in January 2015. Together, let’s make the 114th the one that finally enacted the FairTax.
See you at the movies!
Chairman and President